Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Mountains for God (Count: Psalm 125)

I have had moments of truth where I knew I wanted to be a man for God. It's the most important mission of my life - to yield my heart, soul, mind, and strength to the Almighty King of the Universe.

A man for God, following God, listening to God...

But a "mountain" for God?

I can think of a few men I know who are built like a mountain. Strong muscles like Schwartzeneggar. Large like Shaquille O'Neal. I'm sure each guy has been called "a mountain of a man."

Psalm 125 describes a real mountain of a man.

"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be shaken but endures forever."
(Psalm 125:1)

So Arnold trusts in his workouts and his accent. Shaq trusts in his size and his personality.

Who do you trust in?

All too often, I trust myself. My own experiences, thought-patterns, abilities, or "wisdom." Deep down I know that God is the only one who is completely "trust-worthy," and that He knows best - all the time.

For the people who focus their hearts on trusting God, this Psalm gives a couple of strong promises...

"As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the LORD surrounds his people
both now and forevermore"
(Psalm 125:2)

God is near. God brings strength. God's power and majesty rises like the mountains around us. In central Ohio, I have no visible grasp of this illustration. In January, however, I spent a week in Denver, and the mountains were a constant reality. A constant source of beauty. A reminder that there's something and Someone greater - a Creator - who is always a part of the scenery. Always here. Always has been, always will be.

There's something obviously eternal about what He promises - surrounding us "both now and forevermore."

How many mistakes have we made by trusting in ourselves? How tragic to neglect the eternal, loving, all-powerful creator who is right here, in our midst. Just like Jerusalem, engulfed by mountains, we are surrounded by God's presence, protection, and power. Why am I all too content to run around as if the 'mountains' aren't there? Why am I content to live by my own tastes and abilities, when God somehow offers MUCH more?

Those who trust in Him will be like Mount Zion - "which cannot be shaken and endures forever." Apparently, we'd rather be shaken and fade away?

When will we step up the trust-level and become mountains for God?

Comments:
great post! i really believe that our lives over the past two and a half years are a great testimony to what can happen if you trust in God. none what has happened could have been orchestrated by me. God is amazing, i am not. He is all-knowing, i know nothing compared to Him. i can see if i would have chosen to go my own way that it would have led to heartache and probably trouble in my marriage. trusting God is something you just have to do. you have to give up one day and let Him take over. the sooner the better!
 
Your post reminded me of a trip to Ireland when a native refered to a hill up the road as "Walsh Mountain". We all laughed because they followed it by saying "well, it's a hill but in Ireland it's a mountain". It made me think that being a mountain for God doesn't mean you have to be Everest, just higher ground. People seem to recognize "mountains in training".
 
this just in...

Terrelle Pryor is special.

shoot me an email bro. got a new cpu and lost all my old email addresses.

miss you.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]